AREAS OF INTEREST
- language contact and multilingualism in Northwest China (Uyghur, Amdo sprachbund languages)
- China’s language policies
- language ideologies
- representation of ethno-linguistic groups in Amdo linguistic and visual landscapes
2010-2016 PhD in Language sciences, Institut National des Langues et Civilisations Orientales (INALCO)/ Centre de recherches linguistiques sur l’Asie Orientale (CRLAO), Paris
2007-2009 M.A. in Asian Studies(Chinese language and culture), Università di Roma La Sapienza
2020- Oriental Institute, Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague
2018-2019 Freie Universität Berlin, Institute for Turkic Studies
2017 Centre de recherches linguistiques sur l’Asie Orientale (CRLAO)/Ecole française d’Extrême Orient (EFEO)
2016-2017 Qinghai University for Nationalities (Xining)
Invited Talks, Seminars
- Language policies in Xinjiang: theory and practice. Università Ca’ Foscari, 10 May 2021
- Wutun Language and its Lexicon: Contact and Vitality. Prague Descriptive Linguistics Seminar, Charles University, 9 July 2020.
- Islam in Chinese social networks: written and visual choices, politics, and aspirational identities. Prague Sociolinguistics Seminar, Charles University and Czech Academy of Sciences, 2 December 2020
- Multilingualism in spoken and written language practices: Cases from Northwest China. Dahlem Lectures in Linguistics, Freie Universität Berlin 6 November 2018
- “Whether it's Tibetan or Chinese, what we have in our hearts is Buddhism”: The Wutun community in Amdo Tibet. Tibet colloquium, Humbold Universität zu Berlin, 29 May 2018
- Language and migrations from Central Tibet: language contact and ethnogenesis in the Wutun community (Amdo Tibet, Qinghai, People’s Republic of China) Institute for Turkic Studies, Freie Universität Berlin, 8 May 2018
- Modern Uyghur and language contact. Uyghur Workshop. Institute for Turkic studies, Freie Universität Berlin, 2 February 2018
- Le minoranze turciche in Cina. Origini, lingue, identità e integrazione nello stato cinese [The Turkic minorities in China. Origins, languages, identity and integration in the Chinese state], Università di Cagliari, 25 October 2017
- Lingua e ideologia in Xinjiang [Language and ideology in Xinjiang]. Master degree seminar: Storia e istituzioni dell’Asia e dell’Africa, Università di Cagliari, June 6 2016
- Typological features of Uyghur and Chinese, Université Paris-Sorbonne (France), 6 November 2015
- Comparative and international education society conference. Panel: Education for economic and linguistic survival in Tibet and the Himalayas, 27 APRIL 2021. “Cultural and linguistic continuity in the Sengge gshong (Wutun) community in Amdo: family choices and community connections”.
- Redefining ethnicity in the uni-nationalizing China. Domestic and International Impact. Oriental Institute, Czech Academy of Sciences, March 12 2021. “Propaganda Posters in Xining: Civilizing the City”.
- 14th Annual Conference on Asian Studies (ACAS), Palacký University Olomouc, 20-21 November 2020. “Sinicization of Islam or Global Umma? “Voices” from WeChat”.
- Focus on endangered languages and linguistics in Asia. Università Ca’ Foscari Venezia (Italy). Linguistic features and sociolinguistic context of Wutun, a language of the Amdo Sprachbund (Qinghai, People's Republic of China), 8 March 2019
- The second international symposium on Chinese theoretical and applied linguistics (ISOCTAL-2), Università Milano-Bicocca (Italy). The role of Chinese in conversation: a case study on Uyghur-Chinese code switching, 14- 16 December 2017
- Sixth regional conference of the Central Eurasian Studies Society, American University of Central Asia in Bishkek (Kirghizstan). Ethnogenesis and language contact in Amdo Tibet: the oral narratives of the Wutun language community, 29 June- 2 July 2019
- Globalising Sociolinguistics: Challenging the Anglo-Western nature of sociolinguistics and expanding theories. University of Leiden (Netherlands). Minimizing the difference between intrasentential and intersentential code switching in Uyghur-Chinese bilingual speech, 18-20 June 2015
- First international conference on Uyghur studies. George Washington University, Elliott School of International Affairs, Washington D.C. (USA). Xodayim buyrisa, guòle liǎng tiān dào nàlǐ shàngbān (“If God wills, after two days I’ll be working there”). Communication needs and ideology in Uyghur-Chinese code switching, 25-27 Septermber 2014
- Symposium about languages and societies, University of Texas at Austin, Department of Anthropology (USA). Uyghur-Chinese Code Switching in Xinjiang Urban Areas: Structural Aspects and Social Motivations, 17-18 April 2014
- L’Islam et ses langues: exigences du sacré et nécessités du profane. Casa de Velasquez Madrid (Spain). Marks of Arabic on Modern Uyghur: the sociolinguistic impact of Arabic loanwords, 17-21 March 2014
- Association for the Study of Nationalities 17th Annual Convention. Columbia University, New York city (USA). Language Policies in Xinjiang: the Link between Language Policies and Historical Context in Xinjiang (1950-2002), 19-21 April 2012
Other academic activities
2018 Instructor “Modern Uyghur” Freie Universität Berlin, Institute for Turkic studies.
2015 Teaching assistant, “Language in culture and society” University of Kansas, Department of Anthropology