AREAS OF INTEREST
- Modern Middle East
- Ottoman history
- Intellectual history
- Ottoman minorities
- The making of modern Turkey and transformation of the Middle East from 19th and 20th century
- Ottoman modernization and the concept of productivity
2012 Ph.D. in Ottoman History, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London – Thesis: “The intellectual's dilemma: Ahmet Rıza and Mehmet Sabahettin on reform and the future of the Ottoman Empire.”
2000 MA Middle East Area Study (SOAS)
1997 BA International Affairs, John Cabot University, Rome
2014- Oriental Institute, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague
2013-2014 New York University on London (NYUL) – Lecturer in Middle Eastern history
2013-2014 The Institute of Ismaili Studies, London – Lecturer in history of the Islamic world
2010-2014 SOAS – Senior Teaching Fellow in the History of the Near and Middle East
2009/2010 St. Mary’s University College – Visiting Lecturer in Ottoman history
2008-2010 Birkbeck College – Sessional Lecturer in History of the Middle East
GRANTS AND RESEARCH PROJECTS
2010 Learning and Teaching Unit, SOAS – Participation at WOCMES.
2008 Royal Historical Society - Participation at MESA.
2008 History Department, SOAS - Participation at MESA.
OTHER ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
Membership in editorial committees
- 2015- Assistant Editor, Middle East Area Submissions, Archiv Orientálni
- 2014- Member of the Editorial Board, Vakanuvis
- Manuscript reviewer, Palgrave Macmillan
- Manuscript reviewer, Bloomsbury Publishing
Other academic and administrative positions
- 2018- Member (elected), Advisory Council, Oriental Institute, Czech Academy of Sciences
- 2015- Research Associate, School of History, Religions and Philosophies SOAS, University of London
Membership in academic societies and bodies
- Member, Middle East Study Association (MESA) of North America
- Member, London Middle East Institute (LMEI) at SOAS
- Gesellschaft für Turkologie, Osmanistik und Türkeiforschung (GTOT)
- Member, Centre for Ottoman Studies (COS) at SOAS
- Member, German Middle East Study Association (DAVO)
Ongoing academic activities
- 2017- Co-organiser, Middle East Lecture Series (MELS) Oriental Institute, Czech Academy of Sciences, and the Department of Middle Eastern Studies, Charles University, Prague
- 2015- Organiser, Institute Seminar Series, Oriental Institute, the Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague
Selected papers, lectures and workshops
- Panel Organiser: “Power and Visibility in Ottoman Istanbul: the Seen, Unseen, and to Be Seen.” Turkologentag 2018 – 3rd European Convention on Turkic, Ottoman and Turkish Studies and Bamberg, 19th – 21st September, 2018. Paper: “The High Corners of Istanbul: Unseen Marginals and the Consumption of Cannabis in the Late Ottoman Empire.”
- Panel organiser: “The City in the Eye of the Beholder: Perspectives of Ottoman Istanbul.” 20th Annual Mediterranean Studies Association International Congress, Mediterranean Institute, University of Malta, Valletta, 31st May – 3rd June, 2017. Paper: “Getting High in the City: The Use and Abuse of Recreational Drugs in late-Ottoman Istanbul.”
- Paper: “The Feasibility of Ottomanism according to Ottoman Albanian Ismail Kemal Bey.” CIEPO 22 Symposium, Karadeniz Teknik Üniversitesi, Trabzon 8th October, 2016.
- Paper: “Ottoman Cosmopolitanism.” International Conference Overcoming Global Threats, The Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague, 13th April, 2016.
- Paper: “The Feasibility of Ottomanism according to Ottoman Albanian Ismail Kemal Bey.” DAVO/DMG Joint International Conference, Ruhr University, Bochum, 26th September, 2015.
- Paper: “Exiled Activists or Cosmopolitan Intellectuals? The Young Turk Opposition in Paris.” Modern Turkish Studies Programme, SOAS, London, 2nd March, 2012.
- Co-organiser of the 2011-12 Seminar Series held at the Yunus Emre Enstitüsü, Turkish Cultural Centre, 10 Maple Street, W1T 5HA, London.
- Co-organiser of the Middle East PhD Students International Conference, “State, Society and Economy in the Modern Middle East,” London Middle East Institute, 7th – 8th May, 2011.
- Panel co-organiser: “Neither pashas nor sultans: alternative leadership in the late Ottoman Empire and early Republican Turkey.” Discussant: Dr. Marc Aymes (CNRS – Paris) and Dr. Vangelis Kechriotis (Boğaziçi Üniversitesi). Paper: “Constructing the superiority of the Ottomans: Mehmet Sabahettin and his synthesis of Edmond Demolins.” World Congress for Middle Eastern Studies (WOCMES) 19th – 24th July 2010, Barcelona, Spain.
- Panel co-organiser: “Political and social aspects of the press in Ottoman and post-Ottoman lands.” Chair/Discussant: Prof. Palmira Brummett. Paper: “Late 19th Century Ottoman Press in Exile as a Political Tool against Sultan Abdulhamid II, the Experience of Mechveret Supplément Français.” Middle East Study Association (MESA) 22nd – 25th November 2008, Washington DC.
- Round-table: “The Kurds and Shifting Borders in the Middle East.” Anglo-American University, Prague 11th May, 2017.
- Lecture: “The Ottoman Empire in WW1.” Department of Turkology, Faculty of Arts, Charles University, Prague 4th January, 2017.
- Paper: “Religion and Ethnicity in the Late Ottoman Empire.” Seminar Series: Orient a Closer Look, Charles University, Prague 1st December, 2016.
- Panel Discussion: “The Turkish Coup Attempt and its Aftermath: Sultanic Despotism, Military Dictatorship or a Divided Society?” Anglo-American University, Prague 17th October, 2015.
- Lecture: “Religion and Ethnicity in Young Turk Thought.” Faculté des lettres et des sciences humaines, Université Saint-Joseph, Beirut 2nd October, 2015.
- Lecture: “Intellectuals without Borders.” Anglo-American University, Prague 10th June, 2015.
- Lecture: “Women and Reform in the Ottoman Empire.” Metropolitan University, Prague 7th May, 2015.
- Workshop Organiser: “Religion and State Ideology in the Middle East and Asia.” Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague 11th November, 2019.
- Paper: “The Fight for the Nation: Young Turk and Hamidian Religious Discourse in theCo-chair of Workshop: “Late Ottoman Identities: the National, Transnational, and Marginal.” Department of Middle Eastern Studies, Charles University, Prague 12th – 13th October, 2018. Formulation of Ottomanism as Proto-nationalism.”
- Workshop Organiser: “Outcasts and the State in the Late Ottoman Empire.” Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague 4th December, 2017. Paper: “Getting High at the Gates of Felicity: Social Dimensions of Marijuana and Hashish Consumption in the Late Ottoman Empire.”